Blue Mountains crash: New details emerge about deadly five-car collision on highway packed with holidaymakers

Police have revealed new details of the events leading up to the devastating five-car crash that killed two men and left more than a dozen injured — including several children — in the NSW Central Tablelands on Friday.

Emergency services were called to the crash on the Great Western Highway about 12.50pm, with the road full of families making their way home from Christmas holidays.

According to police, the crashes started when an Isuzu D-max towing a motorcycle trailer — travelling east along the highway — collided with a westbound Toyota Hilux.

Watch the latest news and stream for free on 7plus >>

During the collision, the Toyota struck a Hyundai Tuscan — causing it to leave the road and trapping the occupants inside.

Meanwhile, the Isuzu struck a Kia Carnival head-on. A Nissan Patrol — towing a caravan and travelling behind the Isuzu — then struck the trailer.

The Isuzu driver, a 42-year-old man, and the Kia driver, a 49-year-old man, both died at the scene.

Two people have been confirmed dead and a dozen injured in a five-vehicle crash on The Great Western Hwy, west of Lithgow. Credit: NSW RFS

The six passengers of Kia — a 41-year-old woman and five children aged between five and 15 — suffered varying injuries, police said Saturday. It is understood the driver of the Kia, who died at the scene, was the woman’s husband.

The woman and children were treated by paramedics at the scene before being airlifted to Westmead and Westmead Children’s Hospitals.

One of the children remains in a critical but stable condition, while the remaining four are stable. The woman has since been released.

The Hyundai driver, a 55-year-old man, suffered multiple fractures and was airlifted to John Hunter Hospital.

His two passengers were also taken to hospital for treatment, remain in stable conditions.

The Toyota and Nissan vehicles contained four travellers apiece, all of whom were assessed at the scene. The two drivers, aged 39 and 42, were taken to hospital for mandatory testing.

Horrifying scene

Upwards of 80 emergency services personnel arrived at the scene, along with traffic crews and five medical helicopters.

The highway was closed in both directions for a significant amount of time as specialist police investigated the scene. Credit: 7NEWS

Superintendent Paul Glinn told reporters on Friday that “from a policing perspective, it was a significant scene”.

The Great Western Hwy has since been reopened in both directions, and the crash site has now been cleared.

Investigations are continuing into the circumstances surrounding the crash, and police are preparing a report for the Coroner.

Anyone with information or dash cam footage of the crash is urged to contact police.

Posted in 1

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *